Key Control – Is This a Security Risk?
The lack of adequate key control is a hidden risk, if you cannot account for who has keys to your property, if you don’t control who is authorized to have duplicates made, Then you don’t know who has access to that property.
What is the risk?
- Key control, or more accurately the lack of key control is one of the biggest risks that businesses face.
- Not having a patent controlled key system leads to unauthorized key duplication, which leads to employee theft.
What are the available solutions?
The best solution might be to go to an electronic access control system, however this could be expensive to start.
- Key Control or High Security Lock & Key Systems
- Most key control systems utilize patented keys and or cylinders, because they are patented, the duplication of keys can only be done by factory authorized professional locksmiths.
- The key blanks and lock cylinders are made available only to those same factory authorized professional locksmiths.
- The control can be at the locksmith dealer level, at the distributor level, or at the manufacturer level.
All high security key control systems require specific permission to have keys originated or duplicated. this procedure means that the owner will always know who has keys and how many. If an employee leaves and you get the keys back, you can be reasonably assured that no copies of your keys are floating around.
Your Security Professional, can help you select the system most suited to your needs and your budget. For more information, explore the links below.